(I just need to take a moment to freak out over the fact that this story was aired on CTV National News. Ahhh! I have been faithfully watching CTV at 11:00 p.m. since childhood. This blows my mind! Excitement overload!)
Thank you, so much, for being a curious cat and coming to learn more about my incredible cross-Canada journey that took place between July - November 2011. It's possible that you are visiting my blog for the very first time, so I thought it would be useful to share the roadtrip timeline/milestones with you!
- The roadtrip idea is shared with family/friends
- Basic planning officially begins
- Roadtrip with Reason = my new year's resolution
- Idea is accepted into Pepsi Refresh Project contest, voting begins
- Named an official 5K Grant Recipient from Pepsi Refresh Project
- Connected with Garry Sowerby & Lisa Calvi on Twitter over Ralph the Pelican & ended up recieving sponsorship from Chevrolet Canada with a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. Social media = the best
- Roadtrip planning goes into overdrive
- Finished my contract with the Arts Council of Muskoka, moved out of apartment
- Picked up the 2011 Chevy Cruze, named him Archie
- Celebrated at the Roadtrip with Reason launch party
- Officially hit the road on July 19th
- 1st official volunteer day in St. John's, Newfoundland on August 1st with For the Love of Learning
August to November 2011
- Drove 20,000 KM with Archie
- Volunteered with 13 non-profit organizations
- Fell in love with Canada, coast to coast
- Blogged, tweeted, updated, & filmed every step of the way
- Met the heads & hearts behind each non-profit, inspired every day
- Most amazing experience of my life
- Brand new MacBook Pro laptop with all of my roadtrip photo's & videos was stolen from car in Burnaby, BC
- Speaking presentation at Take a Hike the following morning, filmed by CTV news (terrible timing, eh?)
- Said goodbye to Archie in Vancouver, BC
- Took the Via Rail train on November 6th
- Arrived home to Oakville, ON on November 10th
Phewf! The cross-Canada journey went by in a flash and it was truly an incredible experience. I had the opportunity to join 13 different non-profit organizations and offer my 'helping hands', while also getting to know the staff/volunteers and the reason why they were so passionate about their cause(s). It was an honour to spend time with each of them, and it's my joy to be able to share their messages with you. Some of the volunteer reflections come in video form and since the theft of my laptop/footage , in written form.
Be sure to go through my blog history to view some of the reflections, pictures, videos and general updates from my Roadtrip with Reason -- lots and lots of great memories to share. You can also look forward to the final reflections before the new year, and a final video.
I have been back home in Ontario for a month now, adjusting to life off of the road and putting the finishing touches on the Roadtrip with Reason reflections. I am now focusing on finding my next professional adventure (i.e. a job!) in the non-profit sector and am so excited to continue on my life quest of creating positive change.
Please take the time to visit the websites of the non-profit organizations that joined me on my journey. Their hardwork, dedication and passion for their causes is what should be featured and celebrated - they were the reason for this roadtrip, afterall.
I encourage you to "do your part & show some heart" as a volunteer with one of these amazing organizations, or find a cause that you are passionate about and just give back. They need our time, energy, passion and support to keep doing what they are doing, and what they are doing is so worthy.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
With love & warmth,
P.S. Have questions or comments? Want to learn more about this journey? Send me an e-mail at becky at roadtrip with reason dot ca, or connect with me on Facebook or Twitter ....